You may have seen that some schools in Redcar and Cleveland have reported Covid cases.
Below is important advice on steps you need to take if anyone in your household shows the symptoms of Covid. Following this advice will help keep yourself and others safe and restrict the spread of the virus.
If your child or anyone in your household is showing the symptoms of Covid, all members of the household need to isolate immediately and the person with symptoms should have a Covid test.
The symptoms of Covid are:
- A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature);
- A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual);
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal.
All members of the household must also isolate until the result of the test is back. Please alert your child’s school if you have taken them for a test (and only access a COVID test for individuals if they develop symptoms)
Isolation means you should stay at home. Do not go to work, go out shopping or take your children to school. You will need to make arrangements for family or friends to help out. You should not socialise or have any visitors to your home
If the test of the person with symptoms is negative, then no-one needs to isolate.
If the test of the person with symptoms is positive then the person who has tested positive for Covid must isolate for 10 days and everyone else in the house must isolate for 14 days. Parents/carers should make schools/educational settings and workplaces aware of any positive test.
Testing is available locally. Anyone with any of the coronavirus symptoms is advised to book a test online www.nhs.uk/ask-for-a-coronavirus-test or by calling 0300 013 5000.
For further information about Covid, please go to www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Newcomen Primary School – Out of Hours COVID-19 Response
Please use the above email address to contact the school:
- if you receive a positive coronavirus test result for your child who attends Newcomen Primary School
- and the result is received out of school hours – after 4.30pm or over the weekend.
Please include the following details in your email:
Name of child:
Date of the COVID-19 test:
Does the child have symptoms? Yes or No
What date did the symptoms start?
What date did child last attend school?
Once we receive the email, a member of the Leadership Team will be in touch to advise on the correct steps to take.