At Newcomen Primary School we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background.
We are determined to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity and ability to participate fully in school life.
We tackle discrimination through the positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which champions respect for all.
At Newcomen Primary School we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
Our Equality Objectives are:
- To ensure that all pupils achieve their full potential.
- To identify barriers to learning and close any gaps in achievement.
- To promote a deep awareness, understanding and appreciation of the diversity of our local, national and global communities.
We shall achieve these objectives by:
- Maintaining the highest possible expectations of all pupils. We will realise this ambition by ensuring teaching is consistently of the highest quality, using assessment to inform planning, and rigorously monitoring progress and standards.
- Identifying vulnerable groups and individuals and developing teaching and learning that is tailored to individual needs; thus ensuring progress is sustained and achievement gaps can be closed.
- Identifying and exploiting every opportunity in the curriculum and in all the activities of the school for deepening the appreciation, understanding and respect for diversity.
The role of all the pupils:
- All pupils of Newcomen Primary School agree that all pupils of all races, backgrounds, nationalities, gender, religions and disabilities should be treated equally.
- All pupils agree to promote tolerance and respect for all pupils within school.
- All pupils agree to educate all members of the school community on all aspects of equality and tolerance of all.
- All pupils agree to take positive action against any aspect of discrimination and inequality.
‘We believe we are all unique and different; we should treat each other equally with respect and tolerance no matter who we are. We believe we should love ourselves for who we are.’
Children of Newcomen Primary School