Pupil voice is given a real status at Newcomen Primary School; our children have many wonderful ideas and suggestions and they play a very important role in the government of the school.
The School Council is run by Miss Pusztai (head teacher). Mrs Hobday, a member of our Governing Body, also attends weekly meetings.
Democratic elections are held annually for class representatives on school council from Y1 to Y5. Class members vote for a male and female representative, who they believe to have the qualities needed, to be class representatives. In addition, each September Y6 pupils put themselves forward for the much sought after positions of Secretary, Treasurer and Chair Person. The candidates write a letter of application and speak to all classes explaining why they consider themselves suitable for their chosen position. Whole school elections are then held for these high profile positions and votes are counted.
Together, school council represent and share the thoughts, ideas and concerns of their classes and they are proactive in developing school initiatives and driving them forward. They also play a vital role in the decision making process of changes.
“We know that our ideas and opinions count and are valued by all members of school. We know our voice can change the future and make a difference..!”
All childrens opinions in our school are valued & we know we have the power to create a better future for our Newcomen family. We believe in our shared democratic voice and a shared coalition with our fellow peers. Y6 School Council
School Council has also driven fundraising for: Children in Need, Comic Relief, Barnardo’s, Teesside Hospice, Christian Aid and Water Aid…to name a few!
Please see below for examples of our work together:
- Consultation on and shared work of wording of our Whole School Prayer and promoting the learning of our prayer
- Mission Statement (Believe Achieve Succeed) whole school discussion, consultation and approval
- Weekly Newcomen Newsflash to inform parents and carers
- Consultation on and shared work of Newcomen Primary School 10 Commandments Courtesy Code of Conduct
- Weekly running of Stationery Shop and ordering of stock from YPO
- Organisation of Christmas Fairs
- Organisation of Summer Enterprise
- Organisation of January Sales and Bargain Basement sales raising funds for year group conservation supporting projects and endangered species
- Design of MUGA – Multi Use Games Area
- Further development of our outdoor area with children choosing and voting on options
- Toilet refurbishment with children involved in the consultation process
- Regular consultation with our lunchtime catering staff
- Shared work to design and work on large scale mosaic in Learning Area 4 Redcar Today with local artist in residence
- Shared work to initiate, design and liaise with national artist regarding One World Our World Globe.
- Shared work to initiate, design and liaise with local sculptor regarding Leonardo sculpture.